Self Care for the Holidays
Are you as excited about Thanksgiving and Christmas as I am?!
Great! Then these tips will ensure that you maximize all the joy this season has to offer.
1. Prioritize time with God - This is not always easy, but very necessary. In order for me not to get carried away with this busy season, I will prioritize my quiet time with God. The Bible says in Psalm 91:1 that "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High, will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Because of this verse I'm reminded that in God's presence, I will find rest.
2. Stay in close contact with your family - I value family so much, so I plan to check in with members of my family more often than not. If you do not have family or are not close to your family, stay in close contact with friends.
3. Use your PTO - I cannot stress this enough. If you have days off from work that you have not used this year, USE IT! You've worked hard all year, take these days off to take care of yourself. Go to the spa, get your nails done, watch Netflix, go on a personal retreat. Just do anything that gets your mind off of work!
4. Get outside as much as possible - Seasonal depression is a very real thing! Get into sunlight as much as possible during this season. Go on walks, add more sunlight into your home, or travel to a place where there is more sun.
5. Make a schedule - If you do not have a daily schedule, it's time to get one! I typically plan my day in the Notes app on my phone and it keeps me mindful of the tasks that I have for the day. This helps me a lot with managing stress and sets my expectations. Make your schedule and plan ahead so you do not fall behind on your responsibilities.